My Variety of Art Styles and Meaning by Tiffany Lee
As an artist and graphic designer, I practice on my sketch book so I can find my type of art style. There are few art style I want focus on are pop art, cartoon art, symbolism, digital, and traditional/drawing art.
Pop art, an art movement that emerged in the United Kingdom and the United States during the mid- to late-1950s. The movement presented a challenge to traditions of fine art by including imagery from popular and mass culture, such as advertising, comic books and mundane mass-produced cultural objects. I like pop art style because it’s fun, creative, and modern.
Cartoon art is a two-dimensional illustrated visual art. Cartoon is one of my top 3 favorite because I’ve been drawing cartoon since middle school. I tried Japanese modern art style, modern cartoon style, and unique cartoon art style.
- Japanese modern art style tends to have more of a complexity, which is mostly seen in drawings of characters in motion.
Nowadays, this art style also has lots of shadows and highlights in their characters and environments, giving it a new level of complexity.
- Modern Cartoon art style is one of the most common art styles that you can see on a channel like Cartoon Network.
On a general note, the main characteristics of this art style are thick outlines, very geometric shapes, and colorful colors.
One of the big reasons to do the art this way is that by using simple shapes with not many details, it makes the overall animation process quicker, and saves money to the studios. Still, it’s quite a good looking cartoon art style!
Symbolism is the use of symbols to signify ideas and qualities, by giving them symbolic meanings that are different from their literal sense. Symbolism can take different forms. Generally, it is an object representing another, to give an entirely different meaning that is much deeper and more significant. I only do symbolism for my photography. I have two pictures I took for the completion this year and last year. Now this time, I want to focus on people because that’s only I’ve been struggle with. I did nature photos, but I want to try something new. I research and study the photo and if I can get a shot that’s similar to the other photos. There some of my works that’s symbolize about myself and some are that that have different meaning.
Digital art is an artistic work or practice that uses digital technology as part of the creative or presentation process. Since the 1970s, various names have been used to describe the process, including computer art and multimedia art. Digital art is itself placed under the larger umbrella term new media art. I’ve been practicing digital art before, and I used to draw on my laptop and used Sketch. I want to draw with a different technology such as iPad because I used to draw on my old iPad and the app I used to draw with called procreate. Procreate is similar to any other art “app” such as paint SAI. I knew some artist use Photoshop or different art app, but Procreate is better for me.
Traditional art is similar to digital but draw on paper. I personally do traditional art on my sketch book. Sometime, I’ve been trying to digital art, but I prefer to do traditional art. I’ve been doing traditional art since when I was child. I practice on my own and study the references. I usually do drawing such as emotive, perspective, illustration, and life drawing.
- Life drawing, also known as still-life drawing or figure drawing, portrays all the expressions that are viewed by the artist and captured in the picture. The human figure forms one of the most enduring themes in life drawing that is applied to portraiture, sculpture, medical illustration, cartooning and comic book illustration, and other fields.
- Emotive drawing emphasizes the exploration and expression of different emotions, feelings, and moods. These are generally depicted in the form of a personality.
- Drawing is at the heart or soul of an artist’s way to express themselves. As a communication tool, drawing is a creative way to express the feelings and thoughts of an artist or designer.
I have “many” art style in the past, but I want to explore and find my own. Finding art style is hard, but it takes a lot of practice. Practicing drawing will help me to find my style. Right now my style are traditional, digital, symbolism, and cartoon. Not pop art yet. I want to focus on 4 styles and see which I could use for the future, and try pop art.